There’s so much to see and do in Dubbo, and a multitude of activities to explore – even with your littlest ones in tow!
To help you plan your family holiday adventure, we’ve compiled a list of our top 5 things to do – all of which are particularly well suited for the under 5s!
1. Immerse yourself in an unforgettable safari adventure at Taronga Western Plains Zoo. With wide open spaces and plenty of amazing animals to see in their natural element, the kids will particularly love seeing the giraffes, tigers, lions and elephants as you explore by car (with plenty of parking along the way to hop out and walk around at different exhibits), on the back of your bike or a hired cart. Be sure to pack a change of clothes or swimmers too – the brand new waterhole exhibit at the half way mark is the perfect spot for little toes to splash about while you recharge with a coffee.
2. Let the kids run wild and explore the Dubbo Regional Adventure Playground – with over 40 play elements and free entry, it’s the perfect spot to spend a couple of hours. They can soar on the flying fox, run up and down the giant grassy hill and fly high on the basket swing while you grab a coffee and snacks at the Adventure Playground Café. Before you leave, make sure you head right next door to the Dubbo Regional Botanic Garden – there’s plenty of paths to run around, flowers to see and fish to feed!
3. If you’re looking for somewhere indoors and interactive, head to the Royal Flying Doctor Visitor Experience Centre – the kids can pretend to fly a plane, pull out all the draws and explore the equipment in the medical unit, and get hands on with a range of multimedia exhibits. There’s also a café on site to refuel before your next stop!
4. Make sure you pack the scooters and bikes - there's adventure around every corner and plenty of cycleway space away from roads. There’s the 13km loop of the Tracker Riley Cycleway (try hopping on the path just behind the Visitor Information Centre and head south along the river bank for an easy, flat ride); or the bike area around Wahroonga Park in South Dubbo is great for our littlest visitors (ideal for under 5s). Plus, you’re at a great park with BBQs, toilets and plenty of open space (…and a flying fox!), so it’s a win-win.
5. Take some time out from the sun and head indoors for an exciting adventure! Let them bounce, climb, jump and explore at Dubbo Sportsworld’s Inflatable World – the little ones will have a ball (and burn lots of energy)!
For more family-friendly experiences, check out the Dubbo Region Directory.
We encourage anyone travelling to our Region to maintain social distancing practices and stay home if you are feeling unwell.